Iraqi women's plight is far from over

Louise Nousratpour
Friday March 13, 2009
The Morning Star

IRAQI Women's League guest speaker Shatha Besarani rejected the occupation forces' claim that her country was on the road to democracy.

Ms Besarani told the TUC women's conference in Scarborough on Friday that the Iraq puppet regime was engaged in a "hostile" war against the trade union movement, vandalising its premises, freezing its bank accounts and physically assaulting union leaders.

Arguing that "no true democracy can exist without a free labour movement," she reported that the Iraqi Teachers Union - a well-organised union which has secured significant pay increases in recent years through strike action - had been forced to hand over the keys to its headquarters along with membership and other records.

"This brutal pattern, however, was established by Paul Bremer - the US overlord responsible for setting up the Occupation Authority in 2003," she declared.

"He threw out most of Saddam's legal codes but kept the 1987 law that makes it illegal for public-sector workers to organise in a union."

Ms Besarani said that the situation for women was no better.

She pointed to a recent report by humanitarian charity Oxfam, which warned that the situation has worsened for women since the 2003 US-led invasion.

Last month, Iraq's minister for women resigned in protest at the lack of resources and accused the government of not making women's needs a priority.

"All Iraqis have suffered, but women face the additional danger of being sidelined in a male-dominated society - only 17 per cent of the workforce are women, compared to 83 per cent men," she noted.

"Iraqi women are trapped in a downward spiral of poverty, desperation and gender-specific violence. Oxfam described their plight as a 'silent emergency'."

Despite the ongoing war and occupation, which has ravaged the country, killed over one million and made millions more refugees, Ms Besarani was optimistic about the future.

"The results of the last election in January indicated a rejection of religious sectarianism in favour of national unity," she told delegates.

Ms Besarani stressed the importance of international solidarity to help Iraqi women and trade unionists in their struggle for "free trade unions and an independent Iraq."

She urged delegates to continue to give political and practical support to Iraqi people, including writing letters of protest to the Maliki government and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to highlight the issues.

Barber praises success of union campaigning

Louise Nousratpour
Friday March 13, 2009
The Morning Star

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber blamed "a few male bankers" for the current economic crisis on Friday, urging the government not to make ordinary women pay for their "recklessness" by shelving equality rights.

Addressing the final day of TUC women's conference in Scarborough, Mr Barber praised women trade unionists for their hard-won victories over the past year.

"The Single Equality Bill, while not perfect, is a great step forward and the creation of a network of equality reps and the safeguarding of Britain's abortion rights are all achievements you should be proud of," he insisted.

"But so much remains to be done as the global crisis intensifies and the recession threatens to become depression.

Mr Barber told the government not to give into the business lobby in delaying stronger maternity and equality rights contained in the Equality Bill.

He argued for a "new deal" for women, saying: "If we can find £1.3 trillion to bail out the banks, surely we can spend a fraction of that on providing world-class childcare for all and introduce mandatory pay audits to stamp out pay inequalities."

"The terrible inequalities that have been allowed to flourish in Britain have meant that women will be hit the hardest by the recession. It is not right that eight in 10 of the lowest-paid jobs are occupied by women, while nine in 10 highest-paid positions are occupied by men.

"And it's not right that three-quarters of part-timers are women, where the pay gap is a colossal 63 per cent."

Mr Barber stressed the importance of mobilising the movement to pressure the G20 leaders to put working people first when they gather in London next month to discuss the global crisis.

And he reported that the TUC has signed a memorandum of understanding with human rights group Amnesty to "launch a more effective and co-ordinated campaign in our pursuit for labour and human rights.

"So my message is this - don't forget what together we can achieve and don't forget that union campaigning has saved countless women from slavery, forced labour and prostitution around the world.

"We have made a difference and we will keep on making a difference."

Delegates demand more family-friendly laws

Louise Nousratpour
Thursday March 12, 2009
The Morning Star

WOMEN trade unionists called on Thursday for the strengthening of family-friendly laws as the most effective way of ending gender inequality in the workplace.

Delegates at the TUC women's conference in Scarborough highlighted the "shameful" discrimination meted out to single mothers and pregnant women on maternity leave and urged the government to act to protect women in the workplace.

"Even before the recession, reports showed that 30,000 women a year were losing their job because they were pregnant or on maternity leave," ATL delegate Julia Neal said, adding: "With the right support, these women would not have lost their jobs."

She warned that the recession would make the situation worse as employers look for excuses to sack people.

Through the unpopular Welfare Reform Bill, the government wants to force single mothers and other vulnerable people in society back to work by threatening to cut their benefits.

Delegates argued that ministers should instead strengthen family-friendly rights to ensure that those who are already in work do not lose their jobs due to lack of access to flexible working.

Community delegate Siobhon Ahmed attacked Business Secretary Peter Mandelson's plans to tear into the Single Equality Bill, due before Parliament this spring.

As well as attempts to halt proposals to extend maternity leave, Mr Mandelson has announced that plans to extend flexible working rights to parents of all children under 16 have been put on hold due to the economic crisis.

"He seems to be more worried about protecting those who caused the crisis," she stormed.

"Now is the time to help working people and unions do more to put family-friendly policies at the heart of the bargaining agenda."